Your Better Business Bureau (BBB) would like to make you aware of a press release from the Indiana Attorney General’s office dated 3/3/14 in conjunction with National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW). The press release provides the top 10 complaint categories for 2013 received by the Attorney General’s office and provides tips to avoid issues with these categories. You can view the entire press release here. The AG lists the following categories and numbers for 2013.
1. Used auto sales and service (1,002 complaints)
2. Retail sales (999 complaints)
3. Home repair and construction (923 complaints)
4. Debt collection (787 complaints)
5. Fraud and scams (616 complaints)
6. Internet sales and service (571 complaints)
7. Consumer lending (449 complaints)
8. Identity theft (445 complaints)
9. Health services (392 complaints)
10. Telephone & TV service providers (371 complaints)
The BBB also receives complaints and calls that fall within these categories and would encourage consumers to remember the following tips.
*Always read and understand any contract before you sign it.
*Always check the return policy and warranty information before making a purchase.
*Always have a contract and check licensing, bonding and insurance before hiring a contractor.
*Never give payment information to someone who contacts you claiming you won a prize or grant but have to pay a fee to receive it.
*Always check with the BBB at bbb.org/Evansville or 812-473-0202 when considering doing business with a company.
For more information you can trust, visit bbb.org/Evansville.