It’s the time of the year when air conditioners are pushed to the max and unfortunately many of us will come home to a broken AC. When that happens, it suddenly becomes important to find the right repair person. Here are some things to keep in mind when it comes to getting your AC fixed.
1. Note what time of day you are calling. If it’s after hours or on a weekend be sure to check if the company charges extra fees for repairs during these times.
2. Ask if there is a standard travel fee or if they charge for travel time. If so, be sure you know how far they are coming.
3. Ask about the hourly rate. Keep track of the time that is spent on the repair and ask if the travel time is included in the number of hours. Ask if there is a minimum labor rate charged for the repair.
4. Be sure to get everything in writing as much as possible especially if there is a warranty attached to the repair or replacement.
5. Check their report with the BBB. Go to www.evansville.bbb.org or call 812-473-0202 and check the BBB report for the business. Checkout their rating, complaint history and accreditation status.
6. If your state or county requires licensing for heating and air work, made sure that the company is properly licensed. Vanderburgh County, Indiana does require licensing for heating and air as does the state of Kentucky. Also check on bonding and insurance.
7. If you don’t feel comfortable with a diagnosis, consider a second opinion especially if it will be an expensive replacement.
8. If you are getting a new unit, check out the manufacturer and see what warranties are offered. You may want to see if they recommend a particular product for your size home. Also check out their report with the BBB.
9. If you do experience a problem with a heating and air company that you cannot resolve directly with them, our complaint process might be able to help. You can file a complaint online at www.evansville.bbb.org.
For more consumer tips, business reports and complaint information checkout www.evansville.bbb.org.