Identity theft is a common and growing problem, and once personal information is compromised, the outcomes can be devastating. Information may be compromised by theft of personal documents, phishing for information online, or even convincing phone requests by those seeking to gain your personal information. No matter the scheme, the outcome remains the same – bank accounts, credit card numbers, tax refunds, and even medical benefits can end up vulnerable and susceptible to theft.
The Tri-State BBB would like consumers to know there are ways to protect themselves from the perils of identity theft and would like to share a few tips to help.
Tips for prevention:
• Do not share personal information, passwords, social security numbers or other sensitive information with anyone you do not know.
• Set up multi-step authentication for your accounts, requiring multiple steps or passwords for logins.
• Use strong passwords that are not duplicated site-to-site and change your passwords periodically.
• Check your credit report regularly. A recommended site for this is annualcreditreport.com.
• Finally, if you don’t need documents or files containing personal information, destroy them responsibly.
The BBB hopes to help with the problem of identity theft by hosting a “Secure Your ID Day” event, sponsored by ShredX, Townsquare Media and Signarama Evansville on Saturday, October 17th. Consumers are invited to bring up to 2 bags or boxes, up to 25 lbs. each per vehicle, to their Tri-State BBB parking lot at 3101 N. Green River Rd., Evansville, IN 47715 between 10:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. for collection, then off-site shredding and recycling. Identity theft information and prevention tips will also be provided and a Townsquare Media remote will be onsite from 11:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. Consumers can learn more about this event by visiting bbb.org/evansville or calling the Tri-State BBB office at 812-473-0202.