Mopeds/Scooters Must Be Registered Beginning January 1, 2015

Young Man Driving Motor Bike Wearing HelmetAre you currently driving a moped, scooter or motorized bicycle? Your BBB® would like to remind you of a new law that will go into effect on January 1, 2015 that will affect you.

According to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, beginning January 1st of next year, individuals who drive a moped, scooter or motorized bicycle must be licensed or carry a State Issued Identification Card and their cycle must be registered.

There are two different classifications for mopeds, scooters and motorized bicycles, now called Motor Driven Cycles. A Motor Driven Cycle-A is defined by the new law as “a motor vehicle that has an engine that produces no more than five-brake horsepower.” A Motor Driven Cycle-B is defined by the new law as “a motor vehicle that has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters (CCs).” The BMV suggests contacting the manufacturer of your moped, scooter or motorized bicycle if you don’t know which category your cycle would fall in. At the time of registration, proof of ownership and insurance is required for a Class A Motor Driven Cycle; however, only proof of ownership is required for Class B Motor Driven Cycles.

So who can drive mopeds or scooters, and how do you get the endorsement to do so?

According to the BMV, to drive a moped, scooter or motorized bicycle, you must be at least 15 years old and have one of the following: a valid driver’s license, a valid permit or an unexpired state identification card with a motor driven cycle endorsement. DUI arrests do not prevent someone from using a scooter.

To obtain the endorsement for either class of Motor Driven Cycle, you will need to head to your local license branch. For a Class A Motor Driven Cycle, you must pass the motorcycle knowledge test to obtain a motorcycle learner’s permit, the motorcycle skills test on an MDC-A and a vision screening. An individual does not need an endorsement to drive a Class B Motor Driven Cycle as long as you have a valid driver’s license or learner’s permit. However, if you don’t have a valid license or permit, you must pass a written test, and pay the fees associated with the endorsement.

For more information about the new requirements including where these cycles can be driven and how fast, visit the Bureau of Motor Vehicle’s website.

For more information you can trust, visit

About Amanda 202 Articles
Amanda is the Director of Investigations & Information Services and is a regular contributor to the consumer education blog. She is one of our go-to colleagues for answering complex consumer inquires. Amanda also manages our charity reporting program.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.