With more adults working to meet financial obligations and stretching their schedules during the day, many families are turning to the help of caregivers, babysitters and nannies for young children and aging parents. But how do you find a trusted caregiver that meets your family’s needs? Your BBB provides some tips to help with the process.
1. Start early – the process may take a little time and sitters become more in demand the closer you get to the end of the school year. If you have a desired date to have someone in place, start looking at least 2-3 months early.
2. Ask around – recommendations from a trusted source can be very valuable in this process. Also ask in what situation this person was used, what responsibilities they had, and ask about their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Meet the caregiver in person and ask for references and background information – you may find that a caregiver’s interests, areas of study, background or other details help or hinder the needed care. Always contact references provided to learn more about the caregiver’s service and background.
4. Consider background checks, nanny placement services and BBB Business Reviews to help – some services require background checks for their sitters and can recommend specific candidates, if medical training is needed. BBB Business Reviews can provide information on any complaints with a placement service and also provide rating and accreditation information.
5. Make sure all communications are clear – to avoid confusion and frustration, make sure all scheduling, responsibilities, communication methods and needs are discussed. Welcome questions and provide a good means for future contact. Putting all responsibilities and tasks in writing may also be helpful to both you and the caregiver, providing a solid base for expectations.
For more tips on caregivers or other consumer topics, visit www.bbb.org/evansville.