The FTC sued Vizio in federal court, alleging that the manufacturer had been selling TV sets that tracked consumers by default. Your BBB® shares a few tips on how to stop your TV from reporting back everything you’re watching:
Vizio TV Sets
If your Vizio TV uses SmartCast, you’ll have to use the mobile app in order to change your settings:
- Open your app
- Click on Settings
- Reset and Admin
- Disable Smart Interactivity
If your TV set doesn’t use an app for control, you can simply disable Smart Interactivity using your remote:
- On your remote, press Menu, then Settings
- Choose System
- Choose Reset and Admin
- Go to Smart Interactivity
- Press right arrow to disable it
Samsung TV Sets
- Open your main menu and choose Settings
- Scroll down to Terms & Policies
- You will have three options (you can separately accept or reject terms for):
- Viewing Information Services
- Voice Recognition Services
- Nuance Voice Recognition and Privacy Notices
- Disable Internet-Based Advertising.
If your TV set is an older model:
- Go to the Smart Hub menu
- Find the Terms & Policies sub-menu
- Select SyncPlus and Marketing, press to disable this feature.
LG TV sets
For 2015 and newer LG TV sets:
- Open the main menu and select Settings
- Look for General, select it
- About this TV
- User Agreements
- You have the option to separately agree or opt out of:
- Viewing information
- Personal Advertising
- Voice Information
For older LG TV sets:
- Choose Settings
- Find LivePlus
- Disable it.
Stay safe and protect your data!
For more information you can trust, visit bbb.org/Evansville!