Your BBB® has learned of a new scam that’s affecting people throughout the entire country. It has come to our attention that some people have received an email from someone claiming to be FTC Acting Chairman, Maureen Ohlhausen. The email asked people to provide their bank account information in order to receive refunds from the Western Union settlement.
If you receive this email, please know that it’s an imposter scam meant to steal your financial information and not the FTC trying to get in touch with you. Here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to this type of email offer:
- Don’t click on any links and do not reply to said email! You are advised to forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
- The Western Union settlement is final, but the refunds will be handled by the U.S. Department of Justice, not the FTC. Also, the refund process hasn’t started yet.
- The FTC will never ask for your bank account number or money in exchange for a refund or any other type of services.
- If the FTC needs to send you money, they will usually send a check through the mail.
- If you are waiting on a refund, you can go to gov/refunds to find out more information.
For more information you can trust, visit bbb.org/Evansville!