Donating to a charity as the year ends is something that most Americans will do, but your BBB® would like to warn everyone about the dangers of charity imposters. There are many scammers trying to take advantage of your Christmas spirit, so consider these tips before making a donation:
- Be very wary of people who ask you to give cash, pay with a gift card or use a money transfer.
- Look into the charity before donating: confirm the exact name and use give.org for more information regarding the charity’s activity. You may also want to plug in the name of the charity plus the word “scam” and see if anything pops up.
- Try to choose charities that have a good track record. And the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance can help you with that!
- Don’t donate to a random social media campaign before doing your research! Sometimes, scammers would misuse real victims’ pictures in order to gain credibility.
- Never click on links and attachments you receive via email, even if it may seem like they are coming from a charity. Look into the charity, check their official website and confirm that that’s indeed who emailed you and not a scammer posing as a representative.
This holiday season, stay safe and informed! Happy Holidays!