We here at the Tri-State BBB want consumers to be aware of the steps they can take to protect themselves from unwanted calls. We’ve discussed the Do Not Call list here before but we wanted to revisit the topic since we continue to receive questions from area residents.
- You do not have to re-register on the Do Not Call list. Once your number has been registered, unless it changes, you will remain on it permanently (This is due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007.) You can register your cell phone. There is not a separate list for mobile phones.
- If you can’t recall which numbers you’ve registered, you can access a form here that will allow you to check.
- Even though your number will show up on the registry the day after you submit it, telemarketers have 31 days to remove you from their call list.
- The FTC will not call you to ask if you’d like to be on the Do Not Call list. Nor do they charge a fee. If you receive such a call or a request for payment, hang up.
- Indiana residents can also get on the state’s list by calling 888-834-9969.
If you want to know more, visit the FTC’s Do Not Call Registry website at www.donotcall.gov.